This double chocolate cheesecake is rich and creamy. Made with a chocolate crust, filling and topping, it truly is a chocolate lover’s dream!
Double Chocolate Cheesecake
This is a truly decadent dessert loaded with chocolatey goodness! We are big cheesecake lovers over here. It’s probably our favorite style of desserts. My dad used to make his famous cheesecake every year for Christmas – it was a tradition that instilled my LOVE for the dessert.
Well, this takes traditional cheesecake to the next level – with a chocolate crust, chocolate filling and chocolate topping! It’s rich, creamy and utterly delicious.
>> Need more inspiration? Grab my Easy Healthy Meals Success Kit! Includes 12 healthy eating guides, done-for-you meal plans, and recipes.
Double Chocolate Cheesecake Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious cheesecake:
- Cream Cheese – This recipe uses two packages of plain original cream cheese. Each package is usually 250 g.
- Chocolate – It’s important to use dark bakers chocolate and not chocolate chips in this recipe. This is because bakers chocolate is designed to melt with a better consistency than chocolate chips would. You’ll need 8 oz which equals 2 packs.
- Heavy Cream – This can also be called whipping cream depending on where you’re from.
- Chocolate Crumbs – My grocery store was out of chocolate baking crumbs so I improvised by using chocolate cookies. If you can, look for oreo baking crumbs or chocolate graham cracker crumbs in the “baking” section of your grocery store.
- Sugar – You can use brown sugar or coconut sugar.
- Other Ingredients – You’ll also need unsalted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
How To Make Double Chocolate Cheesecake
Here’s an overview of how to make the cheesecake, with full instructions at the bottom of this article (just keep scrolling):
- Crust – In a food processor, blend chocolate cookies into crumbs, or use store-bought oreo crumbs (found in baking section). Melt the butter in the microwave for 10-20 seconds. Add crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter to a bowl. Mix together and press into greased springform pan.
- Chocolate – Microwave the bakers chocolate for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Filling – Blend the cream cheese, heavy cream and vanilla extract together using a hand mixer. Add eggs and melted chocolate and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Bake – Pour the filling into the pan on top of the crust. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until almost set (a little jiggly in the center). Remove and let cool for 1 hour before placing in the fridge to chill overnight.
- Serve – Melt more bakers chocolate and pour into a sandwich bag. Seal tightly and snip off a small piece of one corner. Drizzle the chocolate in lines over the cheesecake until you reach the desired effect. Serve and enjoy!
Chocolate Cheesecake Quick Tips
- Oreo baking crumbs or chocolate graham cracker crumbs are the ideal ingredient for the crust. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find them locally and had to improvise with chocolate cookies. If you can’t find store bought crumbs, add the cookies to a food processor and blend until they form a crumb texture.
- Use bakers chocolate to get the perfect consistency for this cake. Melting chocolate chips will not give you the same results.
- Let the cream cheese sit at room temperature for an hour or two before using. This will create a smoother consistency when mixing.
- Spray the springform pan with nonstick cooking spray before adding the crust. This will ensure that it’s easier to cut and serve.
- After baking, the cheesecake needs to cool then chill completely overnight in the fridge for the best results. Plan to make this dessert in advance so that you don’t skip this step.
- You don’t need a piping bag to create the chocolate decoration. Instead, use a sandwich bag! Add the melted chocolate and seal the bag tightly. Then snip off a small piece of one corner. Run the melted chocolate back and forth to create lines over the cake. Go back and forth until you’re happy with the results.
More Dessert Recipes
- Pumpkin Cheesecake – A healthier version of the traditional dessert. This recipe is sugar-free and made with a coconut crust.
- Strawberry Pineapple Cake – Made with fresh strawberries and crushed pineapple.
- Double Chocolate Beet Brownies – Rich and chocolatey.
- Chocolate Quinoa Bliss Balls – Healthy ingredients and chocolate – it doesn’t get any better!
Did you love this double chocolate cheesecake? Be sure to leave a rating below!
Double Chocolate Cheesecake
- 1 ¾ cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs - or oreo baking crumbs or chocolate cookies
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar - or coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter - melted
- 8 oz dark bakers chocolate - (equals 2 packages)
- 8 oz plain cream cheese - (2 packages)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream - or whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
Prepare The Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray the springform pan with non-stick cooking spray on bottom and sides.
- If using chocolate cookies, add them to a food processor and mix until they form small crumbs. (If you're using store-bought crumbs you can skip this step).
- Add chocolate crumbs, melted butter and brown sugar to a bowl and mix together.
- Add the ground cookie mixture to pan and press into the bottom to create the crust. Set aside for now.
Prepare The Cheesecake Filling:
- Microwave 6 oz of the bakers chocolate (1 ½ bars) for 1-2 minutes. Stir halfway through.
- Carefully remove from microwave and set aside to let cool for a minute.
- Add the cream cheese, heavy cream and vanilla extract to a white bowl.
- Using and hand mixer, mix until smooth and creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the two eggs and melted chocolate to the blended cream cheese.
- Blend with hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Use a spatula to scrape sides of bowl and pour into the sprinform pan. Give pan a gentle tap on the counter and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until almost set. Remove from oven and let cool on counter for 30 minutes, then add to the fridge to chill overnight.
- Once fully chilled, remove the springform pan ring.
- Melt 2 oz of bakers chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute. Add it to a sandwich bag and seal tightly. Snip off a very tiny piece of one bottom corner.
- Use melted chocolate to create drizzle lines over the top of the cheesecake. Run back and forth slowly until you've created enough lines for the desired effect. Add cheesecake back to the fridge until you're ready to slice and serve.
Please note these nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands and ingredients you choose, and your preferred portion sizes.