Homemade taco seasoning mix is super easy to make and takes less than 5 minutes. It’s made with affordable spices that you already have in your pantry.
Spice mixes can make the world of difference in turning a bland meal into something flavorful. This homemade taco seasoning can be used to flavor your ground beef, shredded chicken, and used for tacos, burritos and dips!
Why You Should Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
You can buy store-bought taco seasoning, but have you ever looked at the ingredients? If you do, you’ll see that these seasoning mixes are full of chemicals and preservatives. Most of which we can’t even pronounce – not so good.
But luckily, the majority of the spices you’ll need to make this taco seasoning mix are probably already in your pantry. And trust me when I say this, once you try this taco seasoning you’ll never want to buy a store-bought version again.
I like to use small mason jars to store my taco seasoning mix. It’s the perfect size to keep in your spice drawer.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Ingredients
With just six simple spices you can create a delicious taco seasoning mix that’s totally preservative free. For this easy recipe, here’s what you’ll need:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Ground pepper
Recipes That Use Homemade Taco Seasoning
- One-Pot Taco Pasta – an easy weeknight dinner for the family, all made in one pot.
- Sheet Pan Fajitas – Chicken breast, bell peppers and onions all cooked in taco seasoning on a sheet pan. It’s the easiest dinner ever!
- Taco Salad Casserole – it’s the most beautiful casserole you’ll ever see. Loaded with ground beef, beans and fresh vegetables to give a well-rounded meal.
- Baked Taco Cups – These are a really fun way to eat tacos. Great for kid parties.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup – loaded with healthy veggies, high in protein and really filling.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground pepper to a bowl and mix together thoroughly. Using a funnel, pour the spice mixture into a small mason jar and seal tightly with the lid. Store in pantry for up to 6 months.
Please note these nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands and ingredients you choose, and your preferred portion sizes.