Nothing is better than a quick and easy meal that’s made in under 20 minutes!
Instant pot chicken chili is made with ground chicken, kidney beans, bell peppers, onion and tomatoes.
This is soup is easy to make and leftovers work well for lunches or dinners throughout the week. Serve with toast or our herbed quick bread for a warm and cozy meal.
Why You’ll Love This Chili
- It’s fast and easy – you’ll have dinner in 20 minutes!
- It’s the perfect dump-and-cook recipe where everything is made in the instant pot.
- It uses ground chicken which is a nice change from ground beef. If you prefer vegetarian, you can try our meatless vegetable chili recipe.
- It’s budget-friendly! Ground chicken is more affordable than other chicken cuts. It’s paired with inexpensive vegetables and canned tomatoes. These ingredients are easy to find and a great way to stretch the budget.
- It’s delicious and family-friendly. This recipe uses ingredients that most people enjoy. You can increase or decrease the spices to match your tastes.
Want another instant pot idea? Try the ground turkey soup with kale and beans recipe.
GROUND CHICKEN is affordable and an easy alternative to ground beef. You can also use ground turkey for the recipe.
VEGETABLES include red and green bell pepper, onion and garlic. Diced tomatoes and tomato paste are also added for flavor. Feel free to add any other vegetables.
KIDNEY BEANS are the base of many chili recipes, including this one. Feel free to substitute with any other beans including chickpeas, lentils, or white beans.
SPICES add the heat! This recipe uses cumin, paprika, chili powder, red pepper flakes and sauce to give it a spicy kick.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Chili
You can use any style of instant pot or pressure cooker. I made this recipe in my Ninja Foodi Deluxe.
- Wash and chop vegetables. Use saute mode on instant pot for onion, garlic and bell peppers.
- Brown the ground chicken according the recipe below.
- Add spices, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Seal lid and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally then stir in kidney beans and salt.
Cook This Recipe On The Stove
This chili can be cooked easily in a pot on the stove. Follow the instructions in the full recipe card below. First, saute the vegetables and brown ground chicken. Add diced tomatoes and spices and cook for 10 minutes on medium-high heat. Remove from heat and stir in kidney beans and salt. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Easy and Fresh Toppings
There are so many different fresh toppings you can enjoy with chili. A dollop of sour cream or plain greek yogurt, shredded cheese, crumbled tortilla chips and green onions would really complete this recipe.
- Substitute with ground turkey or ground beef for easy variety.
- If you like your chili extra spicy, add more chili powder and red pepper flakes. Sprinkle hot sauce on top of the cooked soup before serving.
- You can use frozen veggies instead of fresh. No need to thaw them, just add them straight to the pot.
- Keep leftover chili covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also freeze this recipe in portion-sized containers. Just thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on stove or in microwave.
More Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup is ready in 20 minutes!
- Wild Rice Mushroom Soup is a comforting and delicious soup.
- Rutabaga Carrot Soup is sweet and creamy. One of my favorite lunch recipes.
- Hamburger Soup with slow cooker and stovetop instructions.
- Chicken Lentil Taco Soup is made in an instant pot.
Did you love this chicken chili? Be sure to leave a rating below!
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 medium yellow onion - chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper - chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes - with juice
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ½ Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 14 oz can of kidney beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp salt
- Turn the instant pot to sautee mode. Add cooking oil along with garlic, onions and bell pepper. Cook until onion turns translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the ground chicken and brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the saute setting. Add in diced tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Mix together.
- Close the lid and turn the steam release valve to "seal". Set the instant pot to high and 10 minutes (The instant pot will take some time to fully pressurize before it starts cooking).When the cooking time is complete, let it naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes. Once that's complete, carefully turn the steam valve to "vent" position (I usually do this with a wooden spoon so that my hand is far away from the steam). Once all steam has released, open the lid.
- Add the kidney beans and salt. Mix together and let sit for 5 minutes. Scoop in to bowls and add fresh toppings: sour cream, chopped green onion, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips etc. Serve and enjoy!
Please note these nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands and ingredients you choose, and your preferred portion sizes.