Vegetarian tortilla soup is filled with black beans, lentils, tomatoes and corn. This soup is full of flavor and incredibly fast to make. Add fresh toppings like crushed tortilla chips, chopped green onion, freshly squeezed lime and sour cream for an easy healthy meal.
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Today I have a lentil tortilla soup recipe that is perfect for a chilly day. The beautiful thing about this soup is that you can make it from start to finish in 20 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight dinner.
With a flavorful blend of lentils, black beans, tomatoes, and corn – all topped with crushed tortilla chips, green onion and sour cream. It’s an easy healthy meal that I think you’ll love!
>> Need more inspiration? Grab my Easy Healthy Meals Success Kit! Includes 12 healthy eating guides, done-for-you meal plans, and recipes.
Ingredients Shopping List
Here’s what you’ll need to make this soup:
- 1 can Black Beans – Buy Organic Black Beans Here.
- 1 cup Lentils – I used canned lentils. > Buy Organic Lentils Here.
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes – This recipe uses one 15 oz can of diced tomatoes. > Buy Diced Tomatoes Here.
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes – Helps to thicken the soup. > Buy Crushed Tomatoes Here.
- 1 cup Frozen Corn – You can use canned or frozen corn.
- 1 can Coconut Milk – Coconut milk is used to make the soup extra creamy. You can also use heavy cream or vegetable broth in replacement. > Buy Coconut Milk Here.
- Spices – For spices you’ll need 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, salt and ground pepper.
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup Topping Ideas
The key to this flavorful soup is to serve it with fresh toppings like crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream, plain greek yogurt, sliced jalapeno, and fresh chopped cilantro. Yum!
Quick Tip: If you’re making this recipe for your family, have these fresh toppings in bowls on the side – that way everyone can choose their favorites.
GET MY KITCHEN FAVORITES LIST – Get my full kitchen shopping list here including how I stock my pantry, fill my fridge, and what equipment I prefer to use in the kitchen.
Recipe Cost = $5
This easy soup only cost me $5 to make. Vegetarian meals are typically less expensive, which is why I love to incorporate them into my weekly dinner plan (prices will vary slightly depending on where you live). Plus black beans and lentils are still high in protein!
Grocery Shopping Tip: If you like to save money at the store, here are my 7 ways to save money on your grocery bill and still eat healthily.
Kitchen Equipment I Used
- 5 Qt Dutch Oven – My favorite size for making most dinners (I also have a 4 qt and 7 qt). Cast iron dutch ovens deliver even heat distribution and can be used on the stove and in the oven. They will last you a lifetime! I always make my soups in my 5 qt white dutch oven. > Buy 5 qt Dutch Oven Here.
- Soup Ladle – The easiest way to pour soup into bowls. I love mine with a wood handle and silicone base. > Buy My Soup Ladle Here.
- Wood Spoon – A flat tipped wood spatula is great for mixing ingredients without scratching the pot. > Buy Wood Spatula Here.
>> Need more inspiration? Grab my Easy Healthy Meals Success Kit! A highly successful meal system filled to the brim with healthy eating resources that will teach you how to make easy healthy meals throughout the week, plan your breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and so much more!
How To Make Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
This soup can be prepped and cooked in just 20 minutes! Here’s an overview of how to make it with the full recipe instructions at the bottom of this post.
- Chop up the onion, mince the garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes in a large pot.
- Add in lentils, black beans, frozen corn, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, water, and spices. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and scoop into bowls. Serve with your favorite toppings.
How To Store Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or frozen for up to 6 months. To thaw, defrost the soup in the fridge overnight, then add to pot to reheat leftovers.
>> Need more inspiration? Grab my Easy Healthy Meals Success Kit! This kit includes 12 healthy eating guides, including meal plans and recipes done for you!
More Soup Recipes:
- Turmeric Ginger Carrot Soup – Creamy, sweet-tasting soup that is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Roasted and Pureed Cauliflower Soup – A great detox soup, it’s rich in flavor and loaded with healthy ingredients.
- Healthy Hamburger Soup – Perfect soup for busy weeknights.
- Wild Rice Mushroom Soup – Brown mushrooms and wild rice create a comforting soup recipe.
- Cod, Corn, Potato Chowder (dairy free) – a delicious, creamy soup that is table-ready in under 30 minutes!
Did you love this vegetarian tortilla soup? Be sure to leave a rating below!
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- ½ yellow onion - diced
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 15 oz canned black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz canned diced tomatoes - drained
- 1 15 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 15 oz coconut milk or cream - or use 1 ½ cups of heavy cream or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water - or vegetable broth
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add a bit of cooking oil, the chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook until onion becomes translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in all other ingredients: black beans, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, corn, and lentils. Add the spices: cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and ground pepper. .
- Mix everything together.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water (you can also use heavy cream or vegtable broth).
- Cover the pot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop into bowls and serve with fresh toppings including crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream or plain greek yogurt, green onions, sliced jalapeno, and cilantro.
Please note these nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands and ingredients you choose, and your preferred portion sizes.