Low carb pizza chicken is an easy and healthy dinner. This chicken is baked in a delicious pizza sauce and topped with turkey pepperoni slices and mozzarella cheese. This recipe is keto-friendly, paleo, and low-calorie.
Low Carb Pizza Chicken
Low carb pizza chicken is a simple dish that is perfect for busy weeknights. This recipe can be put together using four main ingredients – chicken breast, crushed tomatoes, fresh spinach and mozzarella cheese. Pair it with riced cauliflower or roasted vegetables for an easy low carb dinner.
Pizza Chicken Ingredients
Here are the delicious healthy ingredients you’ll need to make this chicken dish:
- Chicken Breasts – This recipe uses three boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can always use more or less.
- Pizza Sauce – Be sure to read the ingredients label before you purchase – many pizza sauces contain refined sugar! I really love Mutti pizza sauce. The ingredients are simple, healthy, and it tastes really good!
- Canned Diced Tomatoes – You’ll need 1 cup of canned diced tomatoes – I like to save and freeze the rest in a ziploc bag for future recipes.
- Turkey Pepperoni Slices – You can use turkey pepperoni slices or regular pepperoni slices for the recipe.
- Spices – For spices you’ll be using garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, salt and ground pepper.
Yes. For this recipe, the chicken breasts are added raw to the tomato sauce and then both are cooked together. You can put raw chicken in tomato sauce as long as the chicken is fully cooking with the sauce. If the chicken was still raw (for example a marinade that was removed while the chicken was still raw) then you would need to discard the sauce.
According to the USDA recommended cooking temperatures, the safest internal temperature for cooking all types of poultry products to is 165°F. This is the interior temperature that the meat will read at once removed from the heat source. You can use a food thermometer, which will be poked into the thickest part of the meat to read the temperature. The juices will also run clear and the inside will no longer be pink.
How To Make Pizza Chicken
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make. Everything comes together in two simple steps – all in one dish!
- Prep The Pizza Sauce – In a medium bowl combine the pizza sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Bake The Chicken – Place the chicken in a baking dish and pour the pizza sauce overtop. Bake at 400°F for 35-40 minutes, or until almost fully cooked.
- Add Toppings – Remove from oven and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices on top. Place back in the oven and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until pepperoni starts to crispen and cheese is melted.
More Low Carb Chicken Recipes To Try
Need some more chicken inspiration? Here are a few favorites:
- Everything Bagel Chicken – Flavored with everything bagel seasoning and a greek yogurt dressing.
- Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables – Makes a juicy tender chicken with a side of beautifully colored carrots, parsnips, rutabaga and brussels sprouts. All cooked in one dish!
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad – This recipe is a feast for the eyes – serve it on special days when you want a healthy filling salad at the table.
- Bruschetta Chicken – My husband called this recipe “fancy restaurant chicken you usually pay a lot of money for.” It’s really delicious!
- Easiest Oven Baked Chicken Legs – These chicken legs are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside making the perfect weeknight meal.
Low Carb Pizza Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add the three chicken breasts to a square baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine pizza sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, salt and pepper to a bowl. Mix together.
- Pour the sauce overtop of the chicken. Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove chicken dish from oven and add the mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni slices. Place back in the oven for another 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and pepperoni slices are cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!Pizza chicken can be served on its own or paired with cauliflower rice, mashed cauliflower, roasted veggies, or a side salad.
Please note these nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands and ingredients you choose, and your preferred portion sizes.