This easy dish is perfect to serve as a holiday side or appetizer.
Marinated ham asparagus salad is an easy side dish made with fresh asparagus, chopped ham, and a sweet and tangy marinade.
Serve as a side dish to use up any leftover ham at any holiday, or even at a picnic! This salad is best served cold.
An Easy Side Dish
If you’re looking for an easy way to use up leftover ham, try a homecooked soup or make this salad!
- You only need a few ingredients.
- It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.
- It can be made ahead of time, making it perfect for picnics and potlucks.
- It tastes best when served cold.
- Using asparagus in a salad is a nice change to just eating it steamed.
ASPARAGUS: Choose 2 lbs of asparagus from the store. This equals about 30 skinny asparagus. Remove the woodsy ends by either snapping or cutting them off.
HAM: This recipe is great to use up leftover ham, even if it’s glazed ham. You only need 2 cups worth, which is about 2-3 thick slices of cooked ham.
MARINADE: It’s fresh and simple made from olive oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper. The salad will be soaked in this marinade for 1-2 hours.
How To Make Marinated Ham Asparagus Salad
This is a very easy side dish to put together.
- First, cook the asparagus in a pot with shallow water until crisp-tender.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients according to the recipe instructions below.
- Add asparagus and ham to a bowl, cover with marinade. Let chill about 1-2 hours.
- Assemble the salad by draining the marinade and adding chopped green onion.
- Don’t overcook the asparagus. You want it to be crisp-tender. If it’s crisp but can be poked with a fork, that’s perfect!
- Use leftover cooked ham for this easy salad. It can be quickly chopped up and dumped in.
- Eat as a light lunch: This also makes for a simple and easy lunch idea, if you’re not too hungry.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Marinated Vegetable Salad is an uncomplicated healthy salad to add to any dinner.
- Crab Stuffed Zucchini is low carb and can be served at lunch or as a side at dinner.
- Avocado Quinoa Coleslaw is a healthy option for picnics and potlucks.
- Garlic Green Beans with Bacon is full of flavor, all thanks to the bacon!
Did you love this marinated salad recipe? Be sure to leave a rating below!
Marinated Ham Asparagus Salad
- Add asparagus to a pot with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil then reduce and let simmer 2-4 minutes, until asparagus is crisp tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the marinade using olive oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper.
- Add cooked asparagus to a bowl along with ham. Pour marinade overtop. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Once chilled, add green onions and toss together to evenly coat with marinade.
- To Serve: Place the asparagus stalks in a row on a serving dish. Add ham and green onion on top. Spoon the marinade overtop of everything. Serve and enjoy!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Don’t overcook the asparagus. You want it to be crisp-tender. If it is crisp when poked with a fork, that’s perfect!
- Use leftover cooked ham for this easy salad. It’s can be quickly chopped up and dumped in.
- Eat as a light lunch. This also makes for a simple and easy lunch idea, if you’re not too hungry.
Please note these nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands and ingredients you choose, and your preferred portion sizes.