Mushroom Kale Pasta is perfect for busy weeknights and an easy recipe that the whole family will love. Made with just 4 simple ingredients! It’s whipped up fast with a base of brown rice penne pasta, sauteed mushrooms, kale, and topped with parmesan cheese. I love this recipe for the busiest of weeknights when there’s not enough energy and no thawed meat.
Mushroom Kale Pasta
Nothing beats a quick and easy dinner idea. Here’s what I love about this recipe… it only takes about 30 minutes to make, it’s meatless which is great getting dinner on the table fast, and it cost about $6 to make! Ah, I love a good budget-friendly meal that’s also healthy, don’t you!?
Brown Rice Pasta Noodles
I rarely use regular pasta and almost always use brown rice pasta noodles or chickpea pasta noodles. Guys, the difference in nutrition is like night and day when compared to regular wheat durum pasta. Both chickpea and brown rice noodles are made using whole grains and are a good source of fiber and protein.
I highly recommend you at least give them a try because they are a much healthier alternative to the regular pasta. But, if you’ve got a box of regular noodles already in your cupboard, then you can use those too. No need to waste food here! This is just an idea I hope you’ll think about on your next grocery trip.
Mushroom Kale Pasta Ingredients
This recipe comes together with four main ingredients.
- Penne Pasta – I prefer to use brown rice pasta in my recipes. It’s gluten-free and made with brown rice. If you’ve never tried it before, I highly recommend it. You won’t notice a big difference and it’s made with whole grains versus traditional pasta made with refined flours. You can usually find brown rice pasta in the “health foods” section of your grocery store, or you can order it online here. Penne pasta is a long skinny tube shape. But honestly, you could use any shape of pasta for this recipe.
- Mushrooms – I used cremini mushrooms which have a dark cap and are lighter in the middle. But you can also use white button mushrooms.
- Kale – You’ll need 3 cups of chopped kale. First, rip the leaves from the stem. Wash the leaves and then chop into small bite-size pieces.
- Parmesan Cheese – I highly recommend using freshly grated parmesan cheese versus the packaged stuff you’ll find in the food aisle. Fresh parmesan cheese is one of the easiest ways to create incredible flavor in a recipe.
- You’ll also need cooking oil (I used coconut oil), garlic cloves, salt and pepper.
Mushroom Cleaning Tip: Mushrooms shouldn’t be washed or soaked in water. This is because they are very porous and can absorb the water like a sponge. This makes it hard to make get crispy and flavorful. The best way to clean mushrooms is to use a dry paper towel to brush off any dirt spots. Mushrooms should be stored in the fridge in a paper bag for maximum freshness.
Mushroom Kale Pasta Instructions
This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make! Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Boil The Pasta – I used 2 ½ cups of dried brown rice penne pasta. Cook al dente according to package instructions. Rinse under cool water and drain excess water using a strainer.
- Sautee The Vegetables – While the pasta is cooking, add chopped cremini mushrooms to a frying pan with a bit of cooking oil. Cook until the mushrooms start to soften, about 8-10 minutes. Add in the kale and season with salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes until the kale begins to wilt.
- Mix Together – Add the pasta to the frying pan and mix everything together. Remove from the heat source and add 2 Tbsp of cooking oil along with the parmesan cheese. Stir everything together then add to serving dishes.
More 30-Minute Dinner Ideas
- Chickpea Zucchini Stir Fry Wraps – The base of these wraps is created with a fast stir fry of chickpeas, veggies, and homemade taco seasoning.
- Pizza Pasta Bake – This recipe is easy, gooey, cheesy and oh so delicious.
- Pineapple Chicken Sheet Pan – Everything is cooked in one sheet pan making for an easy meal for the entire family to love.
- Ground Turkey Soup With Kale and Beans – This soup can be put together fast – you’ll have dinner on the table in about 30 minutes!
- Sheet Pan Fajitas – This is an easy family favorite that’s perfect for Taco Tuesdays, or Fun Fridays.
Mushroom Kale Pasta
- Boil the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.
- In a frying pan, add a bit of cooking oil (I used coconut oil) and sliced mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add a bit more cooking oil along with the chopped kale and minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until kale begins to wilt.
- Add in the cooked pasta and mix together.
- Remove the frying pan from heat. Add 2 Tbsp more cooking oil and 1 cup parmesan cheese. Toss together until cheese melts. Sprinkle last ¼ cup parmesan on top of the dish and serve.
Please note these nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands and ingredients you choose, and your preferred portion sizes.