Homemade pizza lunchables are basically the coolest snack that kids can bring to school. This homemade version is great because it will help to save money on the grocery bill and use fresher ingredients. Learn how to easily meal prep these pizza lunchables below.
Homemade Pizza Lunchables
As a mom on a budget, I’m always finding ways to cut down on costs at the grocery store. I’m sure you know how easy it is to increase your bill when you add pre-packaged snacks and treats to the shopping cart.
That’s why I love these simple pizza lunchables. If you haven’t started meal prepping your kids lunches (even if they’re at home right now) then you must give it a try! It’s just as easy to make one lunch as it is to make five for the entire week.
All you’ll need are some meal prep containers and smaller containers that can easily fit inside. There are many different options out there, from my favorite stainless steel containers, glass containers, and these plastic meal planning containers I’m using today.
If you’re on a budget, you can use plastic meal prep containers like I did in the photos for a budget-friendly option. They come in an amazing variety pack that you can buy on amazon.
Note: You’ll also want to pack them a disposable spoon (I like these eco wooden spoons) that they can use to spread the pizza sauce on each sandwich round with.
School Lunch Pizzas
Half of the fun is allowing the kids to put their pizzas together themselves. Each mini pizza can easily be assembled using the ingredients inside the box.
Pizza Lunchable Sides
You can use any kinds of sides for your pizza lunchables. Today I’m using grape tomatoes and slices of bell peppers. You could also use grapes, orange slices, cucumber, apple, avocado, carrots and celery.
Ingredients For Pizza Lunchables
- Whole wheat sandwich thins
- Shredded cheese
- Tomato sauce or pizza sauce
- Sliced pepperoni
- Grape tomatoes
- Sliced bell pepper
Easily Put Pizza Lunchables Together
Assembling these mini pizzas is super easy. If your child is at school, they can do this on a paper towel.
- Place a sandwich thin on a paper towel
- Use a spoon to spread the pizza sauce on the bread
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Add pepperoni slices
Best Way To Pack Pizza Lunchables
When you pack a bento box style lunch for your child, the ingredients inside can move around in their backpack. Keeping all sauces and wetter ingredients separate from the dry ingredients will prevent soggy bread. Keep sauces in individual containers, and wetter ingredients in small snack-size bags.
You can even wrap the sandwich rounds in plastic wrap before adding them to the meal prep container to ensure freshness.
Do You Need To Reheat The Pizzas?
No. These mini pizzas can be eaten cold, which is why they’re so great. However, if you want to reheat them that’s also an easy option. I recommend using a plate or paper towel to heat them and not the plastic container. These can be reheated in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
- 4 sandwich thins - whole wheat
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pepperoni slices
- 1/2 red, green and yellow bell peppers, sliced thin - optional
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes - optional
- Add 1 sandwich thin to each container.
- Pour 1-2 Tbsp of pizza sauce into each small cup, and seal with lid.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese into each cup, and seal with lid.
- Cut pepperoni slices into quarters. Add to each small cup and seal with lid.
- Slice 1/2 of a bell pepper into thin strips and place in each meal prep container.
- Add 2-3 cherry tomatoes to each container.
- Seal meal prep containers with lids and store in the fridge for the week. Pull out one for easy snacks or lunches.
Assembling The Pizzas:
- Place one sandwhich thin on a paper towel or plate, spread pizza sauce on top with a spoon. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and pepperoni slices.
- These pizzas can be eaten cold, or microwaved for 30-60 seconds on a paper towel.
Please note these nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands and ingredients you choose, and your preferred portion sizes.