Rutabaga carrot soup is a delightfully creamy, sweet-tasting soup. The rutabaga and carrots create the perfect consistency. This soup uses broth and a little bit of coconut milk as the base. This soup is keto, paleo, Whole30, and dairy-free.
Rutabaga Carrot Soup
I’m a big fan of creamy pureed vegetable soups. They are one of my favorite recipes to batch prep for an easy healthy lunch throughout the week. Lately, I’ve been alternating between carrot tomato soup and roasted cauliflower soup but this rutabaga carrot soup is definitely a new favorite!
This soup is very creamy. The carrots add the perfect sweetness that balances out the rutabaga. An entire batch of this soup will cost less than $4.00. It’s budget-friendly, healthy and delicious. What more could you want?
Rutabaga Carrot Soup Ingredients
This delicious soup uses just a few simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Rutabaga – You’ll need 1 large rutabaga which will be peeled and chopped into similar size pieces. This will make about 4 cups for the soup.
- Carrots – Three carrots are peeled and chopped and add sweetness to the soup.
- Onion – You’ll need 1/2 of an onion.
- Vegetable Broth – You can use a 32 oz carton of vegetable broth. Chicken broth will also work.
- Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup of coconut milk is used for creaminess. You can also use heavy cream.
- Other Bits – You’ll also need minced garlic, plus salt and pepper to season.
Rutabaga Carrot Soup Directions
First, the rutabaga is roasted. Then the soup is simmered and pureed. For full instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the recipe card.
Here’s an overview of how to make the rutabaga carrot soup:
- Roast The Rutabaga – Peel and chop the rutabaga into small pieces that are similar in size. Toss with cooking oil, salt and pepper then lay flat on a baking sheet to roast for 40 minutes at 400°F.
- Sautee The Vegetables – Add the onions and minced garlic to a large pot with a bit of oil. Cook until the onions turn translucent, about 1-2 minutes. Add in the carrots and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Simmer The Soup – Add the rest of the ingredients and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree – Add the soup to a blender in 2-3 separate batches. Blend until soup is smooth and creamy. Pour into a large bowl, then repeat the process with the rest of the soup. If you don’t have a blender, you can also use a food processor or immersion blender.
More Soup Recipes To Try
Here are some more delicious healthy soup recipes:
- Creamy Tomato Soup With Hidden Carrots – This is a fresh take on the classic tomato soup recipe we all know and love.
- Pureed Cauliflower Soup – This is one of my favorite soups to batch prep for my lunches!
- Crockpot Hamburger Soup – Some days you just need an easy soup recipe for dinner and this healthy hamburger soup recipe is a lifesaver.
- Pureed Carrot Ginger Soup – A wonderful sweet tasting soup with a little kick from the ginger.
- Ground Turkey Soup With Kale and Beans – This soup can be put together fast – you’ll have dinner on the table in about 30 minutes!
Rutabaga Carrot Soup
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and chop the rutabaga into small chunks. Add to a large bowl and drizzle avocado oil (or other cooking oil) over top. Season with salt and pepper. Toss until it's evenly coated.
- Add the rutabaga to a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Rutabaga will be done when golden on the edges and soft when poked with a fork.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, sautee the garlic and onion with a bit of cooking oil. Cook until onions turn translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, and sautee for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients: roasted rutabaga, vegetable broth, coconut milk (or heavy cream). Season with salt and pepper.
- Let soup simmer for 20 minutes.
- In small batches, pour the soup into a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, then add to a large bowl. Repeat until all soup is pureed.Note: If you don't have a blender you can also use a food processor or immersion blender.
- Season with more salt and pepper and serve.
Please note these nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands and ingredients you choose, and your preferred portion sizes.